Supplements are a small contribution to the overall outcomes of a person’s health. While it is most beneficial to get what your body needs from your diet, the average American has a pretty limited diet in regards to the vitamins and minerals that come from food, and adding the right supplements can help us achieve optimal health.
What makes science cool is that it is always changing and getting better. Because of research and innovation, supplements are better than ever. However, cramming a bunch of supplements in your mouth all at once does not improve the overall benefits supplements are designed to have on the body. Research and experimentation has allowed us to understand and implement optimal timing of when you take a supplement to most benefit your health and day.
The timing of your supplements matters. For instance, you want to take Vitamin D and any other “energizing” supplements in the morning because it mimics the effects that natural sunlight would have on your body (and P.S. – you should have your Vitamin D levels screened annually). Let’s talk more about timing:
1. If you’re going to take Melatonin, take it an hour before you plan to turn out the lights and go to sleep. Melatonin is a hormone in your brain that occurs naturally, and if you have certain health conditions like restless leg syndrome, chronic insomnia or dementia, you should avoid it altogether.
2. The best way to maintain weight or achieve effective weight loss is by knowing what and how much food to put in your body, how much exercise you require to maintain a healthy weight, and how much water/hydration you will need every day. Adding a supplement like ACV can be an additive to your diet to help you with healthy gut flora. Consider taking it 15 minutes before a meal to inspire digestion.
3. Ashwagandha is an Ayurvedic herb that has been used for centuries for people with a Pitta body type, and can be a powerful herb for lowering anxiety and cortisol in the body. Taken late in the day will be most beneficial because it will help buffer cortisol. However, if you have been diagnosed with a hormonal imbalance – hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism or hashimoto’s – please avoid this supplement.
4. Collagen is naturally found in abundance in our bodies, yet collagen production begins to decrease as we age. Studies show that it is helpful for joint mobility and reducing joint paint, and supplements can improve skin plasticity. So why not add a little love to your daily routine? Taken in the morning is the best time, and will reduce gas or gut issues.
5. UTIs are really common for a variety of reasons from physiology to basic hygiene measures. D-Mannose is a carbohydrate and has been proven to be a good alternative in the prevention of a UTI; however, it is not the best treatment. It is safe to take every day, and the timing does not really matter.
Debunking ACV - University of Chicago Medicine
Timing of Collagen
Are you dreading the upcoming holiday season because you will be spending it without a loved one? Dr. Megan Spencer from Dakota Family Services met with us to give her advice on how to recognize signs of grief in ourselves, ways to spend the holidays while dealing with loss and grief, how to honor those loved ones and more.
Dr. Conlen states, “A vagina is basically a self-cleaning oven.” It’s important to keep her happy and healthy! We recommend the following tips for staying healthy down there:
Did you know one vape is equivalent to one pack of cigarettes? Vaping has gotten more known among teenagers in the past few years. Now, many more teenagers are using e-cigarettes. When teens vape, they are inhaling steam that comes from hot nicotine liquid. We sat down with Dr. Lester Hartman who has over 35 years of experience in pediatric care on the truth about teen vaping.
Entertaining during the holiday season can be a great time but also very stressful. Are you looking for non-alcoholic punch recipes to wow your crowd? We’ve got you covered! These recipes are more special feeling than a soda or iced tea, and everyone in the household can enjoy them. What better holiday gift is there than that?